Saturday, February 05, 2005

Sport Pilot Aircraft Certification Guide

Sport Pilot Certification of Aircraft Guide

What is this document?
This Guide is written for those who are transitioning their two seat Ultralight trainers and single seat ultralight like aircraft. In this document I will outline the steps required to N number, Register and have your Sport Aircraft Airworthiness Inspected and Certified.

Certification of Your Aircraft

What aircraft may I transition?
Look at the definitions the FAA has for Experimental Amateur-Built and Light Sport Aircraft. Note that Part 103 (Ultralight) aircraft may not be registered as Experimental Light Sport. You may, however, add fuel capacity above 5 gallons, or weight to equal or exceed the 254 pound definition of an Ultralight, to qualify.

Certification Category Choices
You may choose to register your aircraft as either an Experimental Light Sport aircraft or an Experimental Amateur-Built aircraft. The choice of category you are allowed depends on the aircraft's history. If you can show that the aircraft was assembled under the rules of Amateur Built, then you have that choice available. Otherwise, you must register in the Experimental Light Sport category. The EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) has the most experience with the Amateur Built category and I recommend that you use that experience if AB is your choice. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you enlist their help. Their knowledge is extremely useful for Light Sport Aircraft as well. Here is a link to their website:

Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)

Ed Burkhead has put together a chart showing the uses that SLSA and the various types of ELSAs may be put to. This will help you decide what aircraft is appropriate for your uses and how to register it. It is here:

LSA Priviledge Chart

This is written for those people who are transitioning their Ultralight-like (Fat) single seat and two-seat (Training) aircraft. The deadline for registering your aircraft as Experimental Light Sport is 31 Jan, 2008. If you are choosing to register your aircraft as an Experimental Amateur Built, there is no deadline for registering, but if you have any doubt about qualifying then you should complete the process with enough time left to use the alternate category of Experimental Light Sport.

The "Chicken and Egg" Problem
When you register your aircraft with the FAA and get it airworthiness inspected and certified as airworthy, the FAA will require a series of flight testing (Phase One) hours be flown. These will be described in the Operating Limitations. This creates a "chicken and egg" problem for those who want to take the practical test in their own aircraft. The phase one hours must be flown by a certificated pilot before the aircraft can be used for the test. You are not a certificated pilot until you take the test.
One way to solve this is to get someone who is, to fly them for you. Here is another method. The "Phase One" hours may be eliminated if your aircraft has been previously flight tested and you can show proper documentation of this having having been done. See FAA Order 8130.2F paragraph 144 c. and d. (3). To do this you will need to register your aircraft with an UL organization and fly and document a program of flight testing. If you are flying a two-seat UL trainer or "fat" UL you need to register it anyway to be flying the aircraft legally.
When you register your aircraft with an UL organization you will need to do a couple of things to fly it legally and to document that flight time for credit. First, you will have to mark the aircraft. I registered mine with ASC. The cost was $25.00. They sent me an order form for the free (Included in the registration price) registration numbers. These are to be placed on either side of the aircraft. When sending in this form you may want to order, from the same company, one or two of the vinyl decals "For Instruction Only". Place these on either side of the aircraft near the entry points. I would place all these markings on the aircraft in a way that they can later be easily removed. I will apply mine to metal plates which are strapped to the airframe tubes. When you register with the FAA, a different set of numbers and placards will need to be applied.
The next thing you will need to do is to find a BFI with the Org., under who's training exemption you can fly. They will endorse you for solo flight for 90 days at a time. You must carry a copy of their UL training exemption paperwork in your aircraft when you fly it.
You will also want to keep a logbook showing and documenting this flight testing program. This will allow you to get credit for flight testing and avoid having to fly phase one hours after registering and getting your aircraft airworthiness inspected by the FAA. I recommend that you obtain AC90-89A "Amateur-Built Aircraft and Ultralight Flight Testing Handbook". You could document your flight testing program in your pilot logbook or keep a separate logbook for the flight testing program itself. The FAA minimum requirement for flight testing phase one hours for grandfathered UL aircraft is 5 hours. They may assign more. I would fly a program that had adequate hours to accomplish all the necessary tasks in AC90-89A. This will have the added benefit of assuring you that your aircraft is actually safe for operation after any modifications you have made to it in preparation for the FAA inspection. When you apply to the FAA for inspection of your aircraft, I would use the program letter as a means to let them know that a flight testing program has been flown and documented. Tell them you expect no phase one hours to be assigned in the operating limitations because of that. You could also submit the documentation you have in your logbook, as proof.

Information Sources
The FAA publishes a number of documents that will be of use to you in the certification process. The first of these, and one that will be of great use to you, is AC20-27F Certification and Operation of Amateur-Built Aircraft. The same basic steps outlined in this AC will also serve for certification of an Experimental Light Sport Aircraft. The link is here:

AC20-27F Certification and Operation of Amateur-Built Aircraft

The other basic publication that will be of great use to you is FAA Order 8130.2F Airworthiness Certification of Aircraft and Related Products. This FAA Order is basically a handbook that covers the registration and certification process for many aircraft classifications and equipment including the Experimental Light Sport category. It is the bible for this process. I recommend that you read and study all the chapters applicable to you.

8130.2F Airworthiness Certification of Aircraft and Related Products

Master Document List
Before I go any further, here is a master list of documents to study and or download and locations for information needed for this Guide (Including the Repairman part):

Applicable Regulations

14 CFR Part 1 Definitions and Abbreviations
14 CFR Part 21 Certification Procedures for Products and Parts
14 CFR Part 43 Maintenance, Preventative Maintenance, Rebuilding and Alteration Appendix D
14 CFR Part 45 Identification and Registration Marking
14 CFR Part 47 Aircraft Registration
14 CFR Part 91 General Operating and Flight Rules
14 CFR Part 103 Ultralight Vehicles

AC20-27F Certification and Operation of Amateur-Built Aircraft
AC20-88A Guidelines on the Marking of Aircraft Powerplant Instruments (Displays)
AC20-139 Commercial Assistance during Construction of Amateur-Built Aircraft
AC21-12B Application for U.S. Airworthiness Certificate, FAA Form 8130-6
AC39-7C Airworthiness Directives
AC43.13-1B CHG1 Acceptable Methods, Techniques, and Practices-Aircraft Inspection and Repair
AC43.13-2A Acceptable Methods, Techniques, and Practices-Aircraft Alterations
AC43-9C Maintenance Records
AC45-2C Identification and Registration Marking
AC45-3 Installation, Removal, or Change of Identification Data and Identification Plates on Aircraft
AC90-89A Amateur-Built Aircraft and Ultralight Flight Testing Handbook
AC103-7 The Ultralight Vehicle

FAA Forms
FAA Form 8130-12 Eligibility Statement Amateur-Built Aircraft
FAA Form 8130-6D Application for U.S. Airworthiness Certificate
FAA Change of Address Notification Form for Aircraft Owners

FAA Handbooks and Orders

8300.10 Airworthiness Inspector's Handbook
8130.2F Airworthiness Certification of Aircraft and Related Products
8130.2F CHG1 Airworthiness Certification of Aircraft and Related Products

FAA Aircraft Certification Website
Here is the link to the FAA's Aircraft Certification Website:

Aircraft Certification

Update 2
Changes to 8130.2F Airworthiness Certification
There have been major changes to FAA Order 8130.2F CHG1 which applies to AIRWORTHINESS CERTIFICATION OF AIRCRAFT AND RELATED PRODUCTS. These changes apply especially to Light-Sport category aircraft. The changes have been posted as a change document today here:

8130.2F CHG1 Airworthiness Certification of Aircraft and Related Products

Update 1
New Light-Sport Aircraft FAA forms available!
I have just received the following three files from the FAA:

How to Register an LSA.pdf
This is a PDF file with Light-sport Aircraft registration instructions and interactive links to FAA website locations and forms and documents concerning aircraft certification.

This is the new Affidavit of Ownership form for Experimental or Special Light-Sport Aircraft.

8130-6D version 10 2004.pdf
This is the FAA form 8130-6D Application for U.S. Airworthiness that has been revised to accomodate Light-Sport Aircraft.

Links to copies of them are here:

How to Register an LSA
8050-88A Affidavit of Ownership for Light-Sport Aircraft
8130-6D version 10 2004 Application for U.S. Airworthiness Certificate

FSDO (Flight Standards District Office)
A lot of help and information is available from the Flight Standards District Office within your area. Mine sent me a whole packet of forms, checklists, and manuals to help me through the registration and inspection process. They are also helpful when you have questions, especially about FAA documents and procedures.
Also check with the FAA Manufacturing Inspection District Office (MIDO) or Manufacturing Inspection Satellite Office (MISO) nearest your location.
For a list of FSDO's in your area please go to:

FSDO Index

The FAA Website
The FAA website is the source for almost all of the information in these guides. It is a large and complex website and the difficult thing is finding the particular information you need. They have recently improved access with reorganized pages and indexes and better search functions. Here are a couple of interesting locations.

IA (Inspection Authorization) Reference Information

FAA Usefull Links

Aviation PowerPoint Repository

Who will do the Airworthiness Inspection on my Aircraft?

FAA DAR's (Designated Airworthiness Representatives) will inspect your aircraft. They are private persons that the FAA designates to do airworthiness inspections. They are permitted to charge a fee. It would be good to make acquaintance with your local DAR's before the inspection day arrives. They can be a useful source of information. In addition, it would be good to find out the things your DAR looks for, and focuses on, when inspecting an aircraft. You need a DAR with function code 46 (for AB) or 47 for Light Sport (48 is for Special Light Sport). Here is the FAA's list of DAR's:


I have been told that there will be some EAA DAR's who will choose, as a service, to inspect the aircraft of other EAA members for free. Contact the EAA for further information and to see if there is one near you. Here is a link to an EAA article about the first EAA Sport DAR:

Norris is first EAA Sport DAR

Here are EAA's DAR lists for ELSA and SLSA aircraft:



FAA Inspection
The FAA system of DAR's is designed to take the bulk of the workload of actual aircraft inspections from FAA personell and transfer it to the DARs. The FAA then manages and oversees the DARs. In some cases the FAA may inspect your aircraft for you. I would save this method as a last resort because no DAR's were available and the deadline was approaching. If you must ask the FAA to inspect your aircraft, then you should do everything to make the process as easy for the FAA as possible. Make sure your aircraft is completely ready. I would get an EAA technical counselor to look it over. Make sure your paperwork is in order. This is usually the hardest thing. FAA paperwork is like military or other government paperwork, every t must be crossed. Contact the inspectors at your local MIDO/MISO office and feel them out. Find one who is open to inspecting an ELSA. They don't have to do it so work with them in any way you can. That will keep this option open for the next guy. The FAA MISO/MIDO office will usually need 90 days lead time after you submit your paperwork to schedule the inspection. Make sure you are flexible in scheduling and where the aircraft is located. I would bring mine to them if it would help. There is no charge for an FAA inspection but don't use this method just to save money.

Other Links and Websites:

FAA Powerpoint Slideshow on AB Experimental
Jim Pratt's Website (Good site for details of airworthiness inspection)
Sport Air website article on Amateur-Built Experimental –by Ron Alexander
An FAA website outlining AB Certification
About 43-13

Sources for Documents and Forms

AC's (Advisory Circulars)
All the AC's (Advisory Circulars) listed in this document, and more, are available at the following FAA site:

FAA AC (Advisory Circular) List (The main link)

NOTE: AC 00-2, Advisory Circular Checklist, transmits the status of all FAA advisory circulars (AC's),as well as FAA internal publications and miscellaneous flight information such as Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM), Airport/Facility Directory, knowledge test study guides, and other material directly related to a certificate or rating. The checklist is available on the Internet at:

AC 00-2, Advisory Circular Checklist

FAA Forms
Go here for FAA forms and instructions:

FAA Forms and Instructions

Most or all of the publications listed in this document may be available as downloadable files from the FAA website. Some of the files are large and require a fast connection to the internet.

Printed Materials
Check with the Superintendent of Documents (Government Printing Office) for printed versions of some or all of the above publications.
Call your local FSDO for more info including publications and videos they may sell or loan.

What are the steps for certificating my aircraft?
Here are the basic steps in certifying your aircraft with links to useful information:

Register Your Aircraft
You must obtain an N number and register it to your aircraft and display that number on your aircraft before you may have an airworthiness inspection performed. You must have an approved FAA AC form 8050-3 Certificate of Aircraft Registration in your possession. If you intend to have an FAA inspector inspect your aircraft they will need a minimum of 90 days lead time to schedule the inspection.

Reserve an N Number
The first step is to reserve an N Number for your aircraft. This may be done by letter. You may have the FAA assign a number or you may request a specific (special) number. The fee for an FAA assigned number is $5.00 and is good for 90 days unless your aircraft is registered within that period. For a special number an additional $10.00 fee is required. A special number is good for one year, and is renewable for $10.00 per year. You need FAA form

Register your Aircraft to that N Number
You assign the reserved N number to a particular aircraft by submitting AC Form 8050-1 Aircraft Registration Application to the FAA.

Aircraft Registration Application Form 8050-1
This form is required to register your aircraft. The form is NOT available as a downloadable file but may be gotten from your local FSDO or MIDO/MISO.

AC Form 8050-1 Aircraft Registration Application Instructions
Note: 8050-1 is only available as a printed form.

AC Form 8050-2 Aircraft Bill of Sale
You must submit a Bill of Sale to document the chain of ownership of your aircraft. If your aircraft was built from parts you will need to document that.
AC Form 8050-2 Aircraft Bill of Sale

Check with the FAA to see if this form can be used for Light Sport Aircraft or if you need another form. The FAA hasn't finished to process or promulgating all the necessary forms at the time of this writing.


Registration with an UL Organization
Do I want to register my aircraft with an UL Organization until I get it N Numbered and registered with the FAA? There are a couple of reasons why you may want to register your aircraft with one of the UL Organizations before you do so with the FAA. In the final Sport Pilot rule, the FAA stressed that an illegal aircraft (an aircraft that was not a legal UL and was not otherwise properly registered), would not be permitted to be used during the period between N Numbering and registration and the time when the pilot is properly certificated. You need to coordinate the certification of the aircraft with the certification of the pilot to minimize any downtime.
Phase One Hours
After your aircraft is inspected the FAA will give you Operating Limitations which will include a test flight program period. This will consist of a certain number of hours that are to be flown in a certain area until your test flight program is completed. If your aircraft is registered with an UL Organization, previous to registering it with the FAA, and you can document that an adequate number of hours have been flown to show that the aircraft is safe, the inspector may credit you for those hours.
Sport Pilot Student Pilot Certification
You may fly your Light Sport Aircraft with a Sport Pilot Student Pilot Certificate, under the supervision and 90 day endorsements of your SP CFI. By doing this, the only downtime for your aircraft will be between the time you reserve an N number, and get your approved Airworthiness Certificate. Update: The determination whether you may fly your phase one hours off as a student pilot will be based upon the operating limitations that are placed upon your aircraft when it is airworthiness inspected. The program letter you submit to the FAA could request operating limitations that allow this. To avoid the problem register with an UL org and fly your phase one there. Don't forget to properly document them.

Some Notes on State Registration Requirements, Taxes and Insurance

State Registration
Once you register your aircraft with the FAA that information may be shared with your state through information sharing agreements that exist between many states and the federal government. I haven't the time to research all 50 states at this time. But you can get on the internet and Google you own state's information. From the little I've seen, there are some states that have registration requirements, and there are some others, like Florida, that do not require registration. This does not mean that information on ownership isn't shared for tax purposes. Some states, like Michigan, have registration stickers that must be displayed on the aircraft. Others require that registration documents be kept in the aircraft. Michigan has a yearly registration requirement. The tax is a penny a pound based on MTOW (Maximum Take-Off Weight). In addition, Michigan has a nice state aeronautical chart they send you upon registration.

State and Local Taxes
In addition to registration, many states and localities have various taxes that can be levied. The most obvious one is sales tax. But there are other taxes such as excise, property, and use taxes. And these can be levied by state, county or local units of government. It will do you well to find out the particulars in advance. In Michigan, for instanc
e, any property tax is void as long as you keep your aircraft properly registered. That doesn't protect from any other taxes, though.

Some states require that you insure your aircraft. Find out the amounts required and get quotes. In addition, many airports will require insurance of one type or another if you base and operate your newly N numbered aircraft there.

Some states (Michigan is an example), have an exemption from registration if your aircraft is substantially dismantled and unable to be used. You will have to fill out a form to claim this exemption.

Where to check
Many states have a state aeronautical department that is a part of the state department of transportation. They almost all have online sites with requirements and downloadable forms. The state treasurer and local tax departments can be searched for online as well. I would be interested in information on all these requirements for all the states. If you can send me valid information with web links I may put together a list for everyone.

Update 14 Jan 2006
I have Created a webpage with links to all the State departments. See below:

List of State Aeronautical or Aviation Departments or Divisions
This is a list of the State Aeronautical or Aviation Departments or Divisions. Depending on the organization of each state's government, their aviation or aeronautical department or division may be placed under the department of transportation or department of commerce or in some other location.The reason for this list is to give you a contact at the state level for your state. People at the state level in the government organizations will be more apt to have answers for you concerning laws that govern owning and operating an aircraft in your state. They may know about, or know where to find out about taxes and state aircraft registration and things like whether you can operate out of other than certain types of airfields. Some departments have information on airport planning and even state aeronautical charts.
To go to the list webpage click on the following link:

Preparing your Aircraft for Inspection
You will need to prepare your aircraft for an airworthiness inspection. This inspection involves the physical condition of the aircraft as well as required markings and equipment.
Many of us have aircraft that need work to bring our aircraft into a condition that is considered airworthy. This is an opportunity to make your aircraft safer. I recommend you do all the things necessary to put your aircraft in condition for safe flight. In addition, I recommend that you make any modifications before getting it inspected. Most modifications are considered major alterations and require FAA paperwork and inspections and even a test flight period. It is easier to do the work now in a less regulatory environment. If you intend to change an engine then be sure to submit the serial number of the new engine on your registration information.
In addition to improving the general condition of your aircraft, the FAA has requirements for the markings of your aircraft as well as equipment that will have to be installed. You may also want to consider installing the equipment necessary to use your aircraft for your Practical Test (If a 2-seater). It is optional for the DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) to use your ELSA (Experimental Light Sport Aircraft) for the Practical Test, so check to see if he will.

Note: When attaching I.D. plates, placards or equipment, be careful not to damage or compromise structural members of the aircraft with bolt holes. Affix with straps or other methods wherever possible. Another thing to look out for concerns the actual markings and ID plates and other materials you use. Equipment suppliers sell items that seem to be what you need but don't meet FAA requirements. For instance, you need a fireproof (steel or S.S.) ID plate. Aluminum won't do. The plate should say Amateur Built for AB Exp. and Light Sport for ELSA. The passenger warning placard reads differently too. You don't need TSO'd equipment for experimental aircraft but when picking things like strobes and lighting and such the FAA approved items might be better quality. They might also be too heavy and expensive. It's your call.

There are a number of ways that you will need to mark and identify your aircraft to meet the FAA requirements. You will need to provide Identification and registration markings, instrument markings and general equipment marking. You will also have to install an I.D. plate for your aircraft. In general, every device should be labeled and every control should have all of the operating positions labeled.
Many of the aircraft supply companies have kits for the marking of aircraft. The marking of Exp. AB will be similar to Experimental Light Sport but there will be differences. Check Part 45.

Identification and Registration Markings
The FAA requirements for identification and registration markings are detailed in AC45-2B here:

AC45-2C Identification and Registration Marking

Instrument Markings
Here is some helpful information on requirements:

AC20-88A Guidelines on the Marking of Aircraft Powerplant Instruments (Displays)

Labeling, Marking and Placarding Example - PPC
When you prepare your aircraft for the Airworthiness Inspection, you will need to properly mark and placard it. Here is a page I put together, with the help of photos and work by Phil Dietro, showing some ideas on how to go about it. This example is for a PPC but addresses many common issues. There are a lot of photos so loading on dialup will be slow. Click on the photos for a larger view.

Amy Wiley SP CFI, DAR and Chuck Wales SP DPE were kind enough to share their website link to some good examples of marking and placarding:

Labeling, Marking and Placarding Example - Fixed-Wing
Here is a link to a web page showing an example of marking and placarding a fixed-wing (Airplane). Thanks to George L. Smith for the example.

Required Equipment

ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter) – This is required for two seat aircraft. An exception exists for aircraft used for flight training within a 50 mile radius of the home airport. This exception is negated by another section of the regulations, but if you need to shift the expense for a time, you can fly the Phase one time without one. Another thing to consider is whether one is required at all. It may only be required for fixed wing aircraft. Take a look at the discussion on the EAA website here:

EAA ELT Discussion

Some more discussion on newer ELT requirements:


A 406Mhz. ELT beacon has to be registered with NOAA. Here is the link:

NOAA Beacon Registration

Transponder w/Altitude Encoding and Reporting – This is required only in certain airspace. Because of that, they are not required to be in your aircraft for an airworthiness inspection unless you intend to use that airspace immediately. See requirements here:

Altimeter – This is needed for the Practical Test so you might as well install it prior to inspection.
Compass - Needed for the Practical Test
Airspeed Indicator - Needed for the Practical Test
CHT/EGT - The first ELSA's registered, if they had two-stroke engines, were required to have a CHT for each cylinder head and an EGT. I expect the same requirements for future airworthiness inspections.
Hourmeter - This is needed to keep track of hours on the engine and airframe for maintenance recordkeeping. Hobbs is one brand.

Night Flight
If you intend to obtain a Private Pilot certificate or want to equip your aircraft for night flight (Not allowed as a SP) then you need anticollision (strobe) and position (marker) lights. Here is a link to a PDF file detailing the requirements graphically.

Anticollision Lights PDF

Sources for Equipment and Markings
The following aircraft supply houses and companies are a good place to begin for equipment including markings.

Aircraft Spruce &Specialty Co.
225 Airport Circle
Corona, CA 92880

California Power Systems, Inc.
790 139th Ave #4
San Leandro, CA 94578

Leading Edge Airfoils (LEAF)
P.O. Box 231
1216 North Road
Lyons, WI 53148
800 532-3462

Lockwood Aviation Supply
1 Lockwood Lane
Sebring, FL 33870

West Marine

Airworthiness Inspection Checklist
To make sure your aircraft is ready for an airworthiness inspection you should use the following checklist (sent to me by my local MIDO). This is written for AB but should also serve for Light Sport. You could print it out and submit it to your DAR to show your readiness for inspection:

I hereby request an airworthiness inspection for the purpose of airworthiness certification of an EXPERIMENTAL aircraft. The aircraft has been permanently assembled and the following marked items have been accomplished:

I enclose FAA form 8130-6D, application for Airworthiness Certificate, with sections I, II and III completed.
FAA Form 8130-6D Application for U.S. Airworthiness Certificate

I enclose a three-view drawing or three-view dimensioned photographs of the aircraft.

If I am applying for certification in amateur built category:
I enclose a notarized statement (FAA form 8130-12), that the major portion of the aircraft has been fabricated by me or other individuals solely for educational or recreational purposes as provided for in 14 CFR PART 21.191(g). To support this statement, I am able to produce such evidence as invoices or shipping documents.
FAA Form 8130-12 Eligibility Statement Amateur-Built Aircraft

I possess AC form 8050-3, Certificate of Aircraft Registration

A construction log has been maintained for the project, including photographs taken prior to covering as major components were completed. The photographs clearly show methods of construction and quality or workmanship. Log entries describe all inspections conducted during construction of the aircraft.

The marking requirements of part 45 have been complied with; Permanent attachment of an aircraft identification (data plate), on fuselage exterior, either aft of the rear-most entrance door or near the tail on airplanes, or on the envelope on balloons. Permanent application of the appropriate registration. The words "EXPERIMENTAL" near each entrance (interior or exterior).

The following placard has been displayed in the cockpit in full view of all occupants, if applying for amateur-built category:

The instruments and equipment listed in part 91.205 have been installed, appropriate to the operations which I intend to conduct.
Check type of operations intended:
( ) VFR day ( ) VFR day and night ( ) IFR

Instrument range markings and other applicable operating limitations have been installed as required by part 91.9.

An emergency locater transmitter has been installed if required by part 91.207.

The aircraft has been weighed in accordance with accepted weight and balance procedures to determine that the most forward and aft center of gravity positions are within established limits. The weight and balance report is available to the inspector.

The power plant installation has undergone at least one hour of ground operation at various speeds from idle to full power to determine and ensure that all systems are operating properly. This is a logbook entry.

Limitations to permit aerobatic flight are requested.

Have all applicable Airworthiness Directives (AD's) for engine, prop or appliances been complied with?

Test flight hours can be reduced only if the engine/propeller combination is already FAA Type Certified on a certified aircraft. Is the combination Type Certified? If so, on what aircraft is it normally found?

The Aircraft will be available for inspection at the location noted, and directions are as follows.
Address: __________________________________________________________________________________
Directions: ________________________________________________________________________________
I understand that contact will be made within 10 days of receipt of this letter.
The telephone number where I may be reached is as follows:
Business: _____________________________ Residence: ________________________________
I prefer that the operating limitations be issued to permit me to operate the aircraft within a 25 mile radius of:
Number of seats in aircraft: ________________
I have thoroughly inspected the aircraft and consider that it is airworthy and eligible for issuance of an EXPERIMENTAL airworthiness certificate.

SIGNED: ____________________________________________ DATE: __________________________

Operating Limitations
When the DAR or FAA inspector gives you your Airworthiness Certificate he will also specify Operating Limitations for your aircraft. Part of these will be requirements to fly a Phase one program of flight testing. In some cases there will be credit given for flight time logged as a registered Ultralight aircraft with one of the UL organizations. In any case, it is a good idea, after doing the kind of repairs and equipment installations that many of us will be doing, to flight test the completed aircraft. AC90-89A Amateur-Built Aircraft and Ultralight Flight Testing Handbook will help you develop a safe flight testing plan. It is here:

AC90-89A Amateur-Built Aircraft and Ultralight Flight Testing Handbook

ELSA Operating Limitations
Here's a link to the sample operating limitations that the FAA will use for an ELSA. For more information look at FAA Order 8130.2F CHG1. When you apply for airworthiness inspection be sure to submit a program letter with the operating limitations you desire.

ELSA Operating Limitations

Here's a link to the sample operating limitations for Experimental Amateur- Built.

Experimental Amateur-Built Operating Limitations

Repairman's Certificate
You may apply for a Repairman's Certificate for the Amateur-Built Aircraft you build or the Light Sport Aircraft you own and for which you have taken a 16 hour Repairman's course. See my Sport Pilot Repairman's Certification Guide for details.